Breaking News

New top story on Hacker News: Thanks HN: You helped me get a new job

Thanks HN: You helped me get a new job
4 by atum47 | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I remember like it was yesterday: I applied to a job overseas through a job platform and didn't get hired. People from the platform contacted me telling me one of the possible reasons was that I didn't have any code on GitHub. After that I started uploading all my code as open source projects and began to search places to tell people about it. Soon I learned about Hackernews and made a post that got 1 vote. I then decided to contact HN to ask how can I get more traction to my projects and they told me about the Show HN, a tag design to share small and even unfinished projects. Soon I was posting every idea I ever had made into a project. After InvaderZ - a space invaders clone that uses genetic algorithm - people started liking my projects and I started to gain some attention. That was very important causa I was being approached by some companies. I don't do projects to gather attention, I do cause I have fun doing them. I already had a lot of things done when I decided to upload them to GitHub. Well, in one of those times when my post was in top 10, a cool company from São Paulo saw me and called me for an interview. They liked my project so much they offer me a job. I'm living on São Paulo now, it's a huge city full of things to do and places to visit. It's been really cool so far and I have a huge appreciation for Hackernews and the good people that work here. They provide cool platform where people can share relevant news. They provide tools for people to start they own startup. They share jobs openings. They share companies that are hiring. It's a neat place for programmers, hackers and tech enthusiasts in general. I wrote this cause you never know when your story will inspire others and maybe there's someone on the struggle right now looking for a job. This was my experience. HN help me a lot and I think it might help you to. Thank you all and have a wonderful year.

No comments